Tolvik has released today its annual UK Energy from Waste Statistics report which provides a comprehensive overview of data on the UK EfW sector for 2019.
- In 2019 the tonnage of Residual Waste processed at EfWs in the UK was up 9.9% when compared with the previous year to 12.6 Million tonnes.
- At the end of 2019, there were 53 EfWs operational or in late commissioning and 11 EfWs in construction with one EfW “mothballed”.
- The total Headline Capacity of EfWs which were operational or in construction during 2019 increased by 1.6Mt when compared with 2018. This increase was a result of 3 new projects reaching financial close during 2019 and increases in consented capacity achieved at some existing facilities.
- During 2019 EfWs in the UK exported 6,700GWh of electricity – circa 2% of the UK total power generation – together with just under 1,400GWh of heat.
- For the first time, the report provides a preliminary assessment of the carbon intensity of EfWs per tonne of waste processed. Such analysis is, given the lack of an agreed methodology, subjective and we would particularly welcome any feedback on our calculations. Meanwhile the sections on operations, consumable usage and emissions to air have been developed as more data becomes available.
The full UK Energy from Waste Statistics – 2019 report can be downloaded free of charge from www.tolvik.com/published-reports/